What is the Mode Public Warehouse?
Mode hosts a public PostgreSQL data warehouse so you can share data and analysis with the entire Mode community. The Mode Public Warehouse is a great tool that you can use to:
- Learn SQL by completing Mode’s SQL school
- Share analysis with anyone in the Mode community
- Experiment with all of Mode’s features
All members of all Mode Organizations have access to the Mode Public Warehouse and can build reports on top of it’s data.
How to upload data to the Mode Public Warehouse
IMPORTANT: All data uploaded into the Mode Public Warehouse is publicly accessible by anyone on the internet, so take care not to upload anything sensitive or confidential!
- Sign in to Mode. If you don’t have an account yet, create a free Mode user account here.
- Click on your name in the upper left corner of the window and then click Contribute Public Data.
- Click Choose and Upload.
- Select a CSV (up to 500 MB) containing the data you’d like to upload.
- After the data uploads, you will have the opportunity to customize the name of the table and how the columns are stored. When querying the table, you will be required to type the namespace first. In the example below, the user’s account name is “tutorial,” so the uploaded table name will include the “tutorial.” prefix:
Tables names must:
- Be 4-63 characters in length
- Start with a lowercase letter
- End with a number or letter
- Not contain spaces or special characters (use underscores)
Next, you’ll set the column names and types. Columns follow the same naming rules as tables. If you are unsure about the data type for any particular column or would like a general overview of data types, check out the SQL School lesson on data types.
When you are finished, check the box next to “I understand this table will be public to all Mode users.” and then click Finish Import at the bottom of the Customize Columns screen. You can now query this data in Mode by selecting Mode Public Warehouse as the data source.
Last updated April 18, 2018